Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Week 4 EOC - Women in contemporary ads

Image 
Women have definitely been a big topic in advertising. There are typically sexual innuendos and misogynistic messages, although I believe with all the fuss about feminism uprising, a lot more female based ads have been positive. This Dove ad (and most of the Dove ads in general) make me happy. I love seeing the "campaign for real beauty." It delivers a powerful message to women of all ages that imperfection is beauty. That's from one of my favorite quotes by Marilyn Monroe, "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." It hangs in my bathroom to remind me that even when my makeup isn’t on point, I'm still beautiful. The "campaign for real beauty" empowers women by reminding them that beauty is more than skin deep.  

Image 
I like this ad because it depicts a woman confidently running, appearing to be racing and winning. This ad makes me think of the commercial that aired a while back, "Anything you can do, I can do better." Not to say that men are inferior, but I feel like women have so much more to prove. On top of that, athletic women have so much to prove! There are "model-type" women, "thick" women, "petite" women, etc. The category of "athlete" is very limited and mainly consisting of men. It takes a huge commitment and stringent training to be an athlete. Many women who are considered "athletes" are also deemed "manly." I would honestly have to say the woman in this ad looks pretty feminine. Nike always seems to do a good job at depicting equality between men and women, however this ad shows tasteful chivalry. "Ladies first" is an age old saying by charming men who would hold doors for women and let them go first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment